Here are some customer service tips in the spirit of becoming more of a "smile" organization:
1. Remember, when a patron asks you a question (for example-Where are your tax forms?/Do you have tax forms?/Do you not carry tax forms any more? and the million variations we've heard since the beginning of January this year), he doesn't know that you've already been asked the same exact question by a dozen different people already that day, and he's not trying to bother you, so keep it nice when you answer the question! Don't sigh at him, even though you're tired of saying the same thing over and over.
2. When helping patrons with those questions that you are tired of answering (especially computer hand-holding questions), I try to think about my parents, and how would I want someone to treat my mom or my dad if they went to the library and asked the same questions. I know we all hate it when the first thing out of someone's mouth is "I'm computer illiterate," but I could envision my dad doing the same thing at a library, so I try to remember him and think about how I would want someone to treat him. (If you don't like your parents, think about someone else you would want treated kindly, even yourself!)
3. When I worked in retail at the cash register, I would greet the customer and say "Did you find everything ok?" Most of the time, the customer will say yes, but if the answer is no, there might be something you can help them with. If they didn't find the book they were looking for, offer to put it on hold for them. If they tell you they couldn't find any books on a subject, that might be a gaps area that we can float things in on, so tell the appropriate person for that area.
4. The change I've made most recently to my customer service is that I say "My pleasure" instead of "you're welcome" when a customer thanks me. They do that at Chick Fil A, and I think it sounds so nice, so I stole it from them! It doesn't actually have to be your pleasure (I don't think it gives the people at Chick Fil A pleasure to give me ketchup, but they still say it), just say it with a smile on your face, and patrons will walk away feeling good about the interaction.
Any other tips? Feel free to comment!
-Sara Pope - Heights Neighborhood Library

No comments:
Post a Comment